In 2006, Kia presented a second generation Carens for model year 2007. The Carens/Rondo followed Kia's introduction at the 2005 Frankfurt Motor Show of the Multi-S, essentially the Carens/Rondo in concept form — the S standing for Sporty, Spacious and Smart. The Multi-S differed significantly from the production model, only its inclusion of a dual panel sunroof running the length of the roof.
First generation (RS; 1999)
Kia debuted the first generation model of Carens, the RS series in May 1999. A facelift was issued in 2002.
The model was discontinued in Australia in 2001, with production continuing elsewhere for the updated model which was launched in 2002.
The first generation Kia Carens was sold initially in Malaysia as the Kia Carens. Beginning on January 18, 2005, Kia Carens was rebadged as Naza Citra by Naza. In June 2009, the Naza Citra was updated.
Second generation (UN; 2006)
The second generation Carens, known as the UN series, was launched in 2006. In North America and Australia, the car is called the Rondo and Rondo7 respectively. The Rondo made its public debut at the 2006 Los Angeles International Auto Show, with the 2007 model's North American sales debut in December, 2006 in Canada and early 2007 in the United States. In Australia, sales commenced April 2008.
In the United States, Kia sold more than 20,000 units in each of the first two model years exceeding internal sales goals. Sales rapidly declined in the 2009 model year and never recovered.
Available as a five or optional seven passenger vehicle with either a standard 175 hp 2.4L 4-cylinder engine or an optional 192 hp 2.7L V6 engine in two trim levels. In Australia, it is only available as a seven passenger vehicle with a 2.0L four cylinder engine and a choice of an automatic or manual transmission, depending on trim level. The V6 was Kia's last engine to use a timing belt instead of a timing chain.
Standard features depending on market include: sixteen inch alloy wheels, AM/FM/CD player/Sirius Satellite Radio/MP3 Capability, iPod auxiliary jack, air conditioning, power windows and door locks, front/side/full length Side curtain airbags, four wheel disc brakes, ABS, electronic stability control, tire pressure monitoring system, LATCH, child safety door locks, tilt steering column, front and rear twelve volt outlets, front and rear cup holders.
Options include: moonroof, leather interior, heated front seats, cruise control, keyless entry, Infinity ten speaker stereo.
As of August 2010, Kia discontinued the Rondo in the United States and continued to market the 2011 facelifted Carens/Rondo in Canada, adopting Kia's new grille.
Third generation (RP; 2013)
Kia debuted the third generation 'RP' series Carens in September 2012 at the 2012 Paris Motor Show. Sales began in March 2013 in South Korea. The V6 from the second generation has been dropped, and in its place is the option of a 2.0-liter "Nu" four-cylinder GDI gasoline, producing 122 kW (164 hp) and 213 N⋅m (157 lb⋅ft), or a 1.7-liter "U2" four-cylinder diesel producing 100 kW (134 hp) and 320 N⋅m (240 lb⋅ft), both can be paired with a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic. A 1.6-liter GDI gasoline engine is available in the UK. The Carens is offered in either 5-seat or 7-seat configurations.
In North America, the third generation Kia Rondo was only available in Canada, due to slow sales in the United States. Sales in Canada ended after the 2017 model year.
In September 2016, the Carens was given a minor facelift with redesigned fascias, wheels and lights, as well as an enlarged "Tiger Nose" grille. The 1.7-liter diesel has been retuned and now produces 104 kW (139 hp) and 340 N⋅m (250 lb⋅ft), while its 6-speed automatic transmission has been swapped to a 7-speed dual-clutch transmission.
- "Kia Multi-S Crossover". Babez.de, Sept, 14, 2005. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2010-04-06.
- "Kia: Leapfrogging in Innovation with Len Hunt". Edmunds.com, Dec 6, 2006. Archived from the original on 2010-08-04.
- khong, ys (2005-01-21). "NAZA CITRA LAUNCHED - Autoworld.com.my". Autoworld.com.my. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- "Another facelift for the old Naza Citra?". Paul Tan's Automotive News. 2009-06-12. Retrieved 2017-12-07.
- "Группа компаний Автотор :: Автомобили KIA" (in Russian). Avtotor.ru. Archived from the original on 2009-04-04. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- "Thaco lắp ráp dòng xe Rondo của Kia" [Thaco assembled Kia's Rondo models]. www.thesaigontimes.vn. Retrieved 2021-01-14.
- "KIA重返台灣車市 三陽可望獲代工訂單│蘋果日報". M.appledaily.com.tw. 2013-11-28. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- Bob English (2011-08-16). "Family hauler sells well in Canada - but not in the U.S." The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- Welsh, Jonathan (2013-03-21). "Kia Taps 'The Croods' to Help Pitch New Carens Family Car (Video)". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2014-12-16.
|* only available in Canada since 2010.|