January 22, 2020 by admin
Named by W R Morris after the city of dreaming spires, the university town in which he grew up, the manufacture of Morris's Oxford cars had helped to turn the south-side of Oxford into a thriving industrial area.
Like its predecessors, the Morris Oxford for the 1960s was a four-cylinder family car. It would have been seen as mid-sized in the UK, which is where most of the cars were sold. The Oxford (Farina) competed with models such as the Singer Gazelle and Vauxhall Victor.
Oxford series V 1959–61
For 1959, the Oxford, announced on Lady Day 25 March 1959, was merged into the mid-sized Pininfarina-designed BMC Farina range along with a half-dozen other previously announced models, including the 1958 Wolseley 15/60 and 1959 Riley 4/68, Austin A55 Cambridge Mark II, and MG Magnette Mark III. The Austin and Morris cars were nearly identical but were produced in separate factories. Differences in the Morris included some of the chrome and interior trim, and the rear lights. Inside, a front bench seat and special dashboard fitted with speedometer, oil pressure gauge, coolant temperature gauge, fuel gauge and clock (optional) were used. A choice of floor or column gear change was available. The handbrake was floor-mounted to the side of the seat. The 1.5 L B-Series engine continued. Drum brakes of 9 in (230 mm) diameter were fitted front and rear and the steering used a cam and peg system. The suspension was independent at the front using coil springs and had a live axle and semi-elliptic leaf springs at the rear.
The Series IV Traveller was still listed till September 1960, by which time a Series V Traveller had been introduced.
Tested by The Motor magazine the car had a top speed of 78 mph (126 km/h) and could accelerate from 0–60 mph (97 km/h) in 25.4 seconds. A "touring" fuel consumption of 29.8 miles per imperial gallon (9.5 L/100 km; 24.8 mpg‑US) was recorded.
Both standard and de-luxe versions were offered. The de-luxe package included a heater, manual screen washer, twin sun visors, twin horns, bumper over-riders, a clock and leather-covered seat. A two-tone paint scheme and a radio were available as options.
On the home market the Standard version cost £815 and the de-luxe £844 including taxes.
In all, 87,432 Series V Oxfords were built.
Oxford series VI 1961–71
All five Farina cars were updated in October 1961 with a new 1.6 L (1622 cc/98 in3) version of the B-Series engine, longer wheelbase and a new revised look. The tail fins had been trimmed and there were still detail changes between the marques. The Morris retained the series V dash, while the Austin had an all-new fake woodgrain design.
The Morris Oxford Traveller (estate) series V was replaced by a series VI, although little changed apart from the front grille.
The Oxford VI remained in production until 1971 with 208,823 produced. The Oxford range was to have been replaced by the 1967 Morris 1800 (a badge-engineered 1964 ADO17 Austin 1800), but in the event both were built in parallel until 1971 because in terms both of pricing and of interior space the 1800 fell into the market segment of a slightly larger car. The ADO17 1800 continued until 1975, when it was succeeded by the ADO71 Morris 1800. The car which took the Oxford's place at the smaller end of the market segment was the Morris Marina, which also succeeded the yet smaller Minor.
- Sedgwick, M.; Gillies, M. (1986). A-Z of Cars 1945–1970. Bay View Books. ISBN 1-870979-39-7.
- BMC-Leyland Australia Heritage Group, Building Cars in Australia, 2012, page 214
- Culshaw; Horrobin (1974). Complete Catalogue of British Cars. London: Macmillan. ISBN 0-333-16689-2.
- New Morris Oxford. The Times, Wednesday, Mar 25, 1959; pg. 8; Issue 54418
- "The Morris Oxford V Road Test". The Motor: 75–83. 4 May 1960.
- The British Motor Corporation. The Times, Wednesday, Oct 18, 1961; pg. 7; Issue 55215
- Davis, Pedr (1986). The Macquarie Dictionary of Motoring.
Category Triumph | Tags:
You must be logged in to post a comment.